[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fwd: Re: [Marvel-linux] application overlay colorkey suggested usage (fwd)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon May 19 13:10:08 CEST 2003

imho it's nonsense but who knows...

--------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Gernot Ziegler <gz at lysator.liu.se>
To: Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu>
Subject: Re: [Marvel-linux] application overlay colorkey suggested usage (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 04:33:49 -0500
From: inkling <mjohnson at jamesconeyisland.com>
To: Gernot Ziegler <gz at lysator.liu.se>
Subject: Re: [Marvel-linux] application overlay colorkey suggested usage
    (fwd)

Hey again Gernot.

I'm sorry if your correspondent didn't understand me, so I'll
cut it down to a few sentences.

Apps need to set the colorkey on demand. mplayer doesn't.
xawtv does. xine does. i think even xmms-smpeg does.
thus, mplayer is not setting the colorkey when it should.

Apps should use Xv function to set colorkey during X event handler,
specifically the expose event.  It will override whatever the
other apps have set colorkey to and allow the exposed app to have
the overlay colorkey set properly to match the apps overlay area.

This problem would be identical to having multiple apps using
different colorkeys with Xv.  The trick is when you expose the
window and get that expose event, then you should set the
colorkey to what that app needs, again, via the Xv functions.

So the real problem is mplayer not resetting the colorkey if
another app changes it. Plain and simple. Fix mplayer. :)

What are the Xv functions? I don't know. I'm still learning that.

-ink

p.s. there are possibly some dimension and format settings for
the overlay that should also be changed on the X expose event.

Which is why xawtv looks like crap during mzplay mpeg playback,
but once mzplay ends, it reverts the BES state to usable for xawtv.

It seems a pain for each app to override BES settings everytime
an expose event comes along, but I can't think of an easier way.