[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer G2 (vlindos)

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Mar 31 17:09:01 CEST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 09:50:49AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 02:57:08PM +0000, elcabesa wrote:
> >
> > a little proposal to you:
> > why don't you try to do  something like mplayer using gstreamer library??
> > it will be the first big project using it=)
>
> Somehow I suspect there's a good reason not to...

I don't know the modularity level of gstreamer, but it's true that modularity
can be overused within a project too ;-) I've only written that at least core
mplayer should be separated by command line and GUI stuffs. Of course further
modulatization can be done within the "core", like streaming, demuxing,
decoding ... but care should be taken not to overuse the whole concept to a
level, when compilation is almost impossible ;-) and performance is reduced
due to the heavy use of data transfer between layers or like ...

- Gábor (larta'H)