[MPlayer-dev-eng] autoconf (was: use gcc instead of calling ld directly)

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Mar 24 20:45:21 CET 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 07:41:50PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Now i see no advantages of switching to autoconf, especially that
> no one of the active developers knows autoconf syntax, and in my
> experience autoconf versions are not backward compatible sometimes,
> so running it is a nightmare, and as mplayer is used by users as
> cvs version, it may be a problem for them.

Yeah. Maybe I'm stupid but there was _NO_ (!!!!) project with autoconf
working for me ANY of my machines ... Some undefined macros and other stupid
things happened ... (see avifile for example, just try to compile CVS
versions without the generated ./configure ...) I've never understood
why it's usefull to introduce dozens of new things for projects can be
implemented with other simplier stuffs, likde M4 (or what ...... ?)
macros, while there're more easier things on the world. Brrrrrrrr ....

- Gábor (larta'H)