[MPlayer-dev-eng] Offer of help to get me started

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Mar 24 20:58:35 CET 2003

Hi,

>  > but I am starting to think this is why MPlayerXP started.
>
> By no means.  MPlayerXP started because Nick Kurshev wanted to use
> threads in MPlayer, which goes against its most general design
> principles.  The rest of the crew did not agree to using threads so
> Nick created his own project, end of story.  No personal hard
> feelings, just technical disagreement about the general direction
> MPlayer should take.

Yes, the main reason of teh fork was that thread patch Nick made,
but if you look back, the first thing Nick did was reorganizing the
source tree, dropping some code, and applying lots of cosmetics.
I don't think tat it was very useful, but it made syncing (to and back)
impossible, resulting two independent vidix versions and very outdated
codebase (codecs, demuxers, etc) in mplayerxp.

I think everyone would reorganize and change many things after a personal
fork, but since mplayer is a community project, you have to accept some
things as-is, even if you don't like it that way.
And as far as you have to (want to) sync with other forks, projects,
branches, you should avoid any renaming and cosmetics.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team