[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: autoconf (was: use gcc instead of calling ld directly)

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Mon Mar 24 19:08:16 CET 2003

    Hi, Paul Jarc!

Sometime (on Monday, March 24 at 19:53) I've received something...
>Gabucino <gabucino at localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>>> The consensus is that it's the wrong thing to do and that anything
>>> autoconf-based will be immediately rejected with no questions asked.
>>
>> Agreed.

>Could someone please explain why?  Or point to a specific thread in
>the archives?  All I've been able to find so far is that some have
>said autoconf (but not automake or libtool) would be ok if someone
>volunteered to do the work, and others have said autoconf is bad but
>have not given any reasons.

My 0.02. I prefer autoconf/automake for my own project and it does work
great part of job, I like it very much. But anyway if there are rules to
don't have autoconf then it's fine. If you want include anything then
just make part you need with autoconf then make a patch and insert it in
configure script. I think it will work ever. :)

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.