[MPlayer-dev-eng] Offer of help to get me started

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Mar 24 11:28:56 CET 2003

Hi

On Monday 24 March 2003 10:45, Arpi wrote:
[...]
> it's very common to check the diff between 2 versions of a file, to see the
> changes or trace bugs. if you want to diff a version between and a version
> after the 'big cosmetics mess' (cvs diff -r1.x -r1.y) it will be
> impossible.
as u allready said there (cvs -z3) diff -w (-r1.x -r1.y)

> Diego mentioned the DOCS. docs is very different. a given doc translation
> is maintained by a single person, no style clash. also, it's quite rare to
> diff docs versions, even rare to read cvslog of docs. it is not true for
> code!
>
> I agree with Rich in his opinion: some respected coder (like Michael, for
> example) should decide (vote) this question, instead of unknown evil people
> or doc maintainer(s) who never actually worked on mplayer codebase.
:)
agree

btw, for patch there is -l/--ignore-whitespace allthough ive never practically
used that so i dont know how good it workes
->cvs -z3 diff -u -r1.686 -r1.666 mplayer.c > test-diff
->wc test-diff
<-    365    1114   10596 test-diff
->indent mplayer.c
->patch --dry-run <test-diff
<-24 out of 27 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file mplayer.c.rej
->$patch --ignore-whitespace --dry-run <test-diff
<-24 out of 27 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file mplayer.c.rej
:(

another experiment:
old code --(+patch)--> --(+indent)->  \
        \                             diff -> reformated diff
         --(+indent)--------------->  /

->mv mplayer.c mplayer.c.reformated.r1.686
->cvs -z3 update -r1.660 mplayer.c
->cp mplayer.c mplayer.c.reformated.r1.660
->indent mplayer.c.reformated.r1.660
->patch -R <test-diff
<-1 out of 27 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file mplayer.c.rej
yes, bad example, the patch didnt apply against the old version, but thats not
an issue for actual patches, as they do apply against some old version or
they are useless anyway

->indent mplayer.c
->diff -u mplayer.c mplayer.c.reformated.r1.660 > reformated-diff
->wc reformated-diff
<-    419    1307   10505 reformated-diff
->patch --dry-run mplayer.c.reformated.r1.686 <reformated-diff
patch applied cleanly :)

yes, this method is a bit complex, and it allso requires automated
(reproduceable) reformating ...

[...]

Michael