[MPlayer-dev-eng] Offer of help to get me started

Winner of tha face compo gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Mon Mar 24 08:04:32 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> * No javaStyle variableNames which lookHorrible to cCoders. :)
:)

> Definitely against that. Especially the location (or even presence) of
> the {}. If having { sometime on the same line as the if and sometimes
> on the next line seriously confuses you, you should NOT be coding. :)
Even I get huge personality splits on this because on one day I write
bash scripts with one style, and on another day I write with another..
And on the third day I can't understand either, nor can choose which to use ;))

> but I think it would be very foolish to throw out all the principles that
> made MPlayer development work so well
Totally agreed. I fear we'd see MPlayer degraded to the hunk-of-junk status
of xine, in some time - with all the cosmetic patches commited, assert()
replaced with some bogus XINE_ASSERT() function (even in libavcodec - happy
syncing;) etc

> Evil has brought up the analogy of Linux several times, but I don't
> think that really applies.
Nowadays (and for a long while) linux kernels really suck bad, see 2.4.20's
ext3fs corruption, 2.5's horrible IDE (and many many other) brokenness, etc

I guess Linus doesn't quit maintaining it because he gets chicks with it ;)

Somebody to come up with a viable project as example? :)
XFree86 also sucks to great lengths. What indent style does it use? :)

> BTW, what happened to MPCF??? Is selecting a name the only thing left?
I guess I'll start counting the votes now.

--
Gabucino
MPlayer Core Team