[MPlayer-dev-eng] Offer of help to get me started

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Mar 24 03:19:17 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III writes:
 > On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 01:21:08AM +0000, Evil Kosh wrote:
 > What MPlayer needs is people to:
 >
 > o Fix bugs
 > o Reverse engineer and implement codecs and demuxers
 > o Fix dvd-nav support (I don't like it but lots of users want it)
 > o Optimize even more for speed :))
 > o Write more audio and video filters
 > o Rev eng and write drivers for more video cards
 > o Etc...?

 o Improve, extend and maintain the documentation!

Please don't forget that in your list, it's a really good spot for
beginners, BTW.

 > > therefore ask people to think about it and when I post my updated
 > > mplayer.c you can judge for yourself.  you may see this as a waste of
 > > time, but whose time is being wasted? mine.  I think it needs doing,
 > > it's my time, let me waste it.  Please dont disagree with me on this
 > > just to stop me wasting my time.
 >
 > And you're wasting my time because I feel a need to explain to the
 > list why your ideas are bad, so that the ignorant don't simply think
 > "hey cool, let's do that!" and go along with you.

Just to clarify: I share some of evil's ideas but not all and not for
the same reasons.  As I said in a previous mail, we are at a turning
point and need to reevaluate (not necessarily change) past decisions.

The documentation improved by style conventions, but that's only
partially comparable to the rest of MPlayer.  That was my 2¢, I'm out
of the discussion.

 > BTW, where's Gabu when we need him? :))

:-))

Diego