[MPlayer-dev-eng] reformatting the code discussion (was Offer of help to get me started)

Evil Kosh evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 02:24:07 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 01:19, Anders Rune Jensen wrote:
> Evil Kosh <evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > [..]
> >> Ever heard of pretty printers?
> >
> > I think I understand what you are trying to say.  There is however a
> > limit to the amount of automated reformatting tools can do before you
> > have to manually go in and change the formatting in such a way you can
> > rerun the automated reformatting tool again, or complete it manually.
>
> Apperently not.
>
> I'm just saying that you would be much better of building a pretty
> printer (or using one already written). This has several advantages to
> your proposal.
>
> 1) you don't have to mess up cvs. Just write it once and place it in
>    TOOLS/ or something like that.
>
> 2) people can write code in _their_ style and when someone else wants
>    to read it he just pretty prints the way _he_ wants it to look.

Well, there wouldnt be a need to run or write these tools if everyone
had an agreed style would there? plus I doubt it would mess up cvs at
all.  All it would do is increase the number of commits for a period of
time, then it would become a non-issue because everyone is writing new
code in the agreed style.

--
Evil Kosh <evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk>