[MPlayer-dev-eng] Offer of help to get me started

Evil Kosh evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 01:11:40 CET 2003

Hello Rich,

no, I'm not trolling the list, I'm serious.  IMHO I started to read the
source and found that people were using spaces here, tabs there,
sometimes the brace would be after the if/switch/for statement on the
same line, others would have it below, others wouldnt have one at all.

like I've said, the linux kernel has a style guide and it helps
enormously.  People can read it, produce code according to it and
submit, there are no issues with style or hacking, everyone knows what
to expect and what the official line is.

It's like taking the personal touch away from code and trying to be
professional about it, without trying to say you are not being
unprofessional.  If everyone is allowed to just hack what they like,
they will do so and eventually the code is spaghetti.

I am offering to update the code with a style, which can then be updated
by you guys too which will give us all what we want.  It doesnt cost you
anything does it?

It helps people like me, who want to help, but find the code hard to
read and eventually give up.  By doing this, I can help, improve the
quality of the code layout and possibly could help more people to
contrbute by removing this (invisible)barrier.

I'm not trying to be a bastard, or start fights, I'm simply trying to
help in a way that I can.

kosh

Evil Kosh <evil_kosh_uk at yahoo.co.uk>