[MPlayer-dev-eng] help, uncompressable video stream

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Fri Mar 21 18:21:56 CET 2003

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 03:26:19AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Very silly. You'll have the same results if you try to compress a
> single scene from the Matrix where the whole screen is the 'matrix
> text' stuff, or similarly the opening credits of Ghost in the Shell.
>
> Anyway, you can try using a lower but nonzero amount of blur (maybe
> 0.2-0.5) and see if that works. But it makes much more sense, if you
> want to display the ascii version, to just run mplayer -vo aa or
> whatever. :) Maybe you could even do mplayer -vo aa ... > foo.txt
> then put a 'home' character after every page of text. Then you should
> be able to cat foo.txt to a tty to watch the movie.

Well, mplayer -vo aa has no color, plus I'd like to be able to produce
an ascii-art movie that I can distribute to others. (non-mplayer users)
I suppose that software dependancy makes it just as undistributable as a
bitrate of 8 Mbit/s, so either way I can't do anything with it yet.  :)

I suppose I'll try various amounts of blur until I find a balance
between compressability and the style I want.  Is there a codec better
suited for this type of video that mencoder can make use of?  Or, can
you suggest to me another piece of software that can handle png frames
as input?  Oh, that reminds me, I'll post what I've done to vd_mpng in a
patch today if I can clean it up.

Thanks,
--Joey