[MPlayer-dev-eng] help, uncompressable video stream

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Mar 19 00:46:39 CET 2003

Hi,

> Is it impossible to compress this stream well using divx?  Are there

DCT-based codecs (like mpegs, h263, divx) doesn't "like" contours.
divx is even bad for cartoons, not talking about 'ascii art'.

> certain options I can use to get it a reasonable size?  Even with
> preme=2:vme=1:vbitrate=4 I still get bitrates that are ridiculously
> high.  What am I missing?  Is another codec more well-suited to this
> kind of stream?  What should I try next?

probably some palettized VQ codec like indeo or cinepak could do it better.
at worst case try some RLE-like stuff, like MS-RLE, or even GIF89a :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team