[MPlayer-dev-eng] Is anyone considering docbook for the man page ?

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Tue Mar 18 15:36:44 CET 2003

Hi Diego Biurrun,

on Tue, 18 Mar 2003 01:34:42 +0100 you wrote:

> The man page is in for an overhaul, no question,
> maybe even the idea of putting mplayer and mencoder together needs to
> be revisited.  If you have any bright ideas, step forward.  In the
> meantime I think that redundancy is our worst enemy.

I agree with you, fight the redundancy !!!!!
I'd like to say that I would like to have (someday) a kind of integreted
help as the man page is growing way to big now. By integrated help i mean
the possiblity of having mplayer document it self. Something like
'mplayer -describe fs' would ouput what the man page is saying
about this option. The menus could also provide that in a more
'interactive' way.
The problem is that the man page format is not really unsuable for that.
So what about having the man page in xml too ?
Imho it would be great as it will allow many differents output formats
wich is really nice considering the incresing number of platform supported
by mplayer.
I made a few search about docbook 2 man but sadly only found one tools
wich seems good (docbook2x) but it have too much dependency imho
(perl + several modules).

	Albeu
PS: You can just call me crazy and forget that ;)