[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF proposal

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Mar 13 19:32:01 CET 2003

Hi

On Thursday 13 March 2003 17:49, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:42:57PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> > btw, completly strict interleaving doesnt seem like a good idea either if
> > we allow multiple video streams, the performance loss would be too large
> > IMHO and even for many audio steams it is very likely bad
> > so i suggest that interleaving is a MUST only for videos with 1 video
> > stream & <=2 audio streams
> > any comments?
>
> Interleaving should always be required. Otherwise playback from CDROM
> is impossible. Even if it works it will destroy your drive in no time
> seeking back and forth thousands of times...
readahead & cache?
... yes i agree its too complex for a simple player

> Besides, even a 1x drive
> is a plenty fast to play most files single-video, single-audio files,
> so I don't think io performance is an issue.
hmm it depends, i thought more about storing movies for streaming (several
bitrates for audio/video and perhaps several resolutions, and several users)
interleaving all of the streams and droping 90% of them sounds like a big
problem for the harddisk of the server

[...]

Michael