[MPlayer-dev-eng] A proposal for the OSD

Daniel A. Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Thu Mar 13 18:06:08 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:14:53AM -0600, Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:38:28PM +0100, Dirk wrote:
> > 2) FESTIVAL!!!! -- that lib AFAIK isn't GPL but since MPlayer can play
> > every format out there it should be able to play ("read") any text file
> > too... or it should be able to put quote screens from pre-audio-movies via
> > ocr (above) into words too... imagine THAT!
>
> IMHO Festival would be easier to interface to as a separate system
> rather than compiled into MPlayer.  Isn't festival done in scheme?

Parts of it are. But for really fluent speech, AT&T folks reimplemented most
of it in C++. Scheme is great for prototyping festival algorithms (e.g. the ones
that decide how to read numbers), but eventually you're better off using
something fast. Festival, as any good research testbed, is very modular.

But I agree with you: it belongs to a separate system.

--
Daniel