[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF proposal

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Mar 12 13:18:24 CET 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:41:43AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 03:37, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:25:57AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > New name proposals:
> > >
> > > avf Audio Video Format (maybe too close to avi)
> > > or
> > > mmf Multi-Media Format (maybe this is too general)
> >
> > Please, can we cut the name proposals that don't have anything
> > special/significant about them and that aren't even pronouncible? We
> > could come up with a hundred different three-letter acronyms for stuff
> > like this, but they're all the same and totally boring and lifeless.
> > Kinda like MCF. :(
> >
> > Rich
> How pronounceable are the already exiting ones: avi, mpg, wmf etc?

.mpg is just a bastardization of .mpeg by 8.3-filename lusers. And
MPEG is very pronouncible (EM-peg).

.avi and .wmf (did you mean .wmv, maybe?) are MS crap. MS could make a
file extension
".by_naming_your_file_with_this_extension_you_sell_your_soul_to_bill_gates"
and people would still use the format just because... :(( There's
nothing good about these names; they just sound dumb.

Rich