[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF proposal

Mark Zealey mark at zealos.org
Tue Mar 11 23:04:30 CET 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 05:03:33PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > > Hmm. I was thinking it was small enough to fit in one byte, but maybe
> > > not with vlc... IIRC they tend to be around 200 bytes, but I may be
> > > entirely wrong. I can try to figure it out later if no one else knows.
> > ogminfo seems prints the subpacket size (with a few -v) but not the number of
> > samples in a subpacket which would be needed for simple seeking/cuting ...
> > the size of the subpackets is too random for rle, and yes its often larger
> > than 300 so it wont fit in a byte unless we use some difference vlc encoding
>
> Hmm, yeah, encoding difference from the previous packet's length
> rather than absolute length would probably make it one byte most of
> the time with vlc. Alternatively you could first compute a base length
> (either smallest packet length in the superpacket, or else average or
> something) and then store all lengths as an offset from that base...

Um difference from previous packet would fuck the seeking.. The base is a good
idea but you'd have to fill it in after the encoding which wouldn't always be
possible. Surely the packets are multiples of 4 in length or something similar -
or else i guess you could just bite the bullet and use vlc...

--

Mark Zealey (aka JALH on irc.oftc.net: #zealos and many more)
mark at zealos.org; mark at itsolve.co.uk