[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF proposal

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Tue Mar 11 12:20:21 CET 2003

Hi.

> 2) We should finally decide on a name everyone likes. Current
> proposals include egg, coola, 10l, nut, ...?

I'd vote for nut - it's a neutral word but still has some reference to
being a container (for the 'fruit' inside).

> 3) We should ask Moritz Bunkus to write the muxer and demuxer for
> mencoder/mplayer based on the current spec plus any changes agreed
> upon in phase 1.

I can and want to do that. Please note that I'm actively developping
Matroska tools at the moment (which includes a MPlayer demuxer that I'd
like to include in the main tree in the not-so-far future). I definitely
do NOT want to start another round of Matroska bashing or ANY discussion
whether this or that format is better - I simply write tools for
it. I'd like to support both formats, but I won't do that if my
involvement in both projects upsets you folks.

Fortunately I'll be able to reuse about 75% of the current code for
MPCF tools so I shouldn't take too long for a first version. I won't
start right away, 'cause - as you proposed - we still need that phase 1
in order to solve any remaining issues.

However, as someone else also pointed out, we need someone who is going
to code a DirectShow filter. Otherwise we'll effectively limit
MPCF/nut/insertfavoritenamehere to a rather small user group right from
the beginning.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)