[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Advice on the use/modification of mplayer

Tobias Diedrich td at sim.uni-hannover.de
Tue Mar 11 02:29:45 CET 2003

David Ayre wrote:
> Could a single mplayer be modified to perform this ?

No.

> Could this be done running multiple mplayers positioned in a
> grid, one for each region ?

Yes, see -wid in the man page.

> What are the major issues that you see with implementing this
> (performance bottlenecks/hardware restrictions etc) ?
> Where should i start looking in the code as a point of modification (if
> possible) ?

Depending on the size of the videos you may run into performance issues.
Also, you can't use xv as is, because it always uses the first xv port,
which usually supports only one window at a time.
I'd recommend you to use a recent (>=TNT2) video card, use nvidias
binary drivers and change vo_xv.c to use the second xv port, which
should be the NV05 video blitter and supports up to 32 clients at a
time.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits