[MPlayer-dev-eng] RFD: -ovcopts/-oacopts

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Mon Mar 10 10:56:22 CET 2003

Hi Andriy N. Gritsenko,

on Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:49:40 +0200 you wrote:

>     Hi, community!
>
>     I want to propose replace all -divx4opts -lameopts -lavcopts
>     -vfwopts
> and -xvidencopts with -oacopts or -ovcopts. Then you can set config
> table on codec init. Goals:
> 1) you would get list/params of all codec options via '-ovcopts help';
> 2) you would accept changes from codec init function (for example, from
>   encoder/videoeditor GUI);
> 3) unification/simplification;
> 4) no extern struct 's in cfg-mencoder.h;
> 5) more easy adding new codecs.
>
>     What do you think about that?
I think it's a good idea. The m_struct_t stuff can be used for that like in the menu
system. In the menu system each module export a definition of his 'private struct'
(as you don't have to 'publish' all fields) but modules could also export a struct that
contain only their parameters.
A good solution miho would be to add a new option type wich use the suboptions
parser but wich fill an array of key/value pair in string. So at least the syntaxt can
be checked at command line parsing. Then when the codec is know you just
have to use this array to setup a m_struct_t and pass it to the codec.
The same could be later done for the vf as it's much more work to convert all vf
at once. I must say that i hate the current syntax as it's criptic but when you know
the args by earth it's ok (like scale=200:500). A solution could be to have
something like -vfopts-vfname[-n] opt1=blah:foo=bar wich can be also used when
a filter have 20 parameters and you want to set the 2 last one. So from the mplayer
pov we would have a list of key/pair array where each one is the setup of a vf.
At the moment i'm quiet busy with my tdfx_vid stuff but I can help you if you want.

	Alban