[MPlayer-dev-eng] A new vo : vo_tdfx_vid even faster than tdfxfb :)

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Fri Mar 7 18:41:42 CET 2003

Hi all,

after a long work (many hard lookup today ); I got this to work properly. Like
mga_vid it's a kernel module + a vo. But unlike mga_vid it let you use agp memory,
and do copy from the agp mem to the card memory (performed by the card :) and
screen to screen blit for colorspace conversion and scaling. As it use agp you
need the agpgart driver wich is internaly used by tdfx_vid.
The thing seems very fast, without dr (draw slice copy to agp mem and do an
agp move) it's as fast as vo_tdfxfb with dr  (beside one more memcpy :). With
dr it's even faster. It's not finished as it still need support for dr of IP and IPB
buffers (and we finnaly got a fast vo wich support that :))). Any tips (beside rtfs)
about this would be apreciated.
Try it, kill it, kill your box but don't complain ;) It seems to work but it's still
experimental, use at your own risk you've been warned !!!

Short howto :
	configure with -enable-tdfxvid
	build the driver : make -C drivers tdfx_vid.o
	copy it in your module directory
	create /dev/tdfx_vid (char major 178 like mga_vid)
	Optional step : read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt again ;)
	insmod tdfx_vid
	mplayer -vo tdfx_vid ...

Albeu