[MPlayer-dev-eng] autosh*t @ freshmeat

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Mon Jun 23 02:06:36 CEST 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 10:51:27PM +0200, Magnus Damm wrote:
> configure.ac + configure
> Makefile.am + Makefile.in
>
> in the CVS repository together with a note  (just a comment)
> about the required versions of the auto* tools and then let
> the autoconf/automake wizards that have correct versions installed
> do the generation and let them commit the new updated files
> (configure, Makefile.in) when needed.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something...

I believe part of the argument goes that developers who want to add
configure options for their code have to learn auto*, and that is a
problem for some people.  Personally, I already know how to shell
script, so I prefer that to autoconf because it's something I'm better
at.  If I learned autoconf, then I'd probably find certain cases in
which I'd find it more beneficial.  *shrug*  I don't think it's all that
important of an issue.  If I want to work on a project, I just learn the
rules and such required to participate.  If mplayer used autoconf, I'd
probably have learned it by now.

--Joey