[MPlayer-dev-eng] latest mingw network patch

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 5 21:56:36 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:03:02PM -0500, Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 01:26:00PM +0200, flo/yepyep wrote:
> > okay, here we go. new patch :) hopefully makes everyone happy.
>
> Once the mingw port is complete, then cygwin should be deprecated.
> Then cygwin-specific support itself can be removed and -mno-cygwin
> (IIRC) can be added to Makefile for cygwin systems to make it mingw
> compatible.  Or is it -mmingw?  I forget exactly, but there is a gcc
> option or two on cygwin to emulate mingw.  Anyhow, I think this should
> be our eventual goal for windows systems.

IMO this is a bad idea. No reason to remove cygwin support if it
works. Some people already use cygwin regularly under windows, and
want to built a program that will operate properly in their cygwin
environment. So as long as it's no extra work to support cygwin
(shouldn't be), don't arbitrarily remove support, and PLEASE don't do
like the SDL fools and make it force -mno-cygwin on cygwin (which kept
people from compiling posix-dependent progs against SDL, e.g.
mplayer).

Rich