[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Mplayer unable to play MPEG2-TS over RTP

AMONZOR AMONZOR at terra.es
Mon Jul 21 17:51:44 CEST 2003

>From Live.com list...

> I'm not familiar with VLAN project but it is possible to have
>multiplexed media streams over RTP. Take a look at RFC 2343 that
>describes how to transmit bundled MPEG over RTP

Yes, it is certainly 'possible' to have RTP sessions that multiplex
separate media streams, but most RTP sessions are not like this.  In
particular, I have yet to see a server that actually implements the
payload
format described in RFC 2343.  However, the LIVE.COM libraries (and,
thus,
MPlayer) could easily be updated to support such a stream, if
necessary.  (A somewhat more common example of multiplexed media
streams is
the "MPEG transport stream" RTP payload format described in RFC 2250;
we
support this already.)

In contrast, the vast majority of RTP sessions - that use separate
packet
streams for each media - cannot be received/played by "videolan",
because
it makes the fatal assumption that there is just a single input
stream.  Moral of the story, once again: Forget about "videolan", and
use "MPlayer" <http://www.live.com/mplayer/>; it's superior software.

   Juan Carlos Montes