[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Mplayer unable to play MPEG2-TS over RTP (Was: Mplayer as a Client for VideoLAN server)

Rett Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Mon Jul 21 00:37:45 CEST 2003

Nico (nsabbi at libero.it) wrote:

>Same mess when VLS streams an mpeg2-ps  (at least in my case).
>
>Rett, can you please tell us what happens when you stream a -PS file?
>
>If you run mplayer with  -dumpvideo
>then compare stream.dump with the original file, are they identical  ?
>
>Thanks,
>            Nico
>
>Nico wrote:

Nico:

I have streamed a MPEG2-PS file (one that was previously recorded from a WINTV
PVR250 using the linux drivers from ivtv.sf.net).  I was able to play that stream
with similiar results (A/V sync drifts until I get the too many packets in Video
buffer message).  When using the dumpvideo option I get a file that looks like the
original file when you play it (audio as well), but it is in MPEG2-TS format, not
MPEG2-PS.  This is because regardless of the source format, VLS converts the
material to MPEG2-TS when it is transmitted.

I used a CVS version of Mplayer both with and without your patches and the dumpvideo
result is the same.  Both dump mpeg2-ts with audio.

Rett