[MPlayer-dev-eng] writing video output plugin

Vrihad Shoonya vrihad at myway.com
Fri Jul 18 09:55:16 CEST 2003

Hi!

>> Here I would like to know
>> whether I can use xvmc while writing a decoder
>> plugin for mplayer when the vendor has already
>> provided some arbitrary library to implement
>> MOCOMP and IDCT using the h/w.
> Well, it is all up to you. It depends what you
> have, what you want to do, and how mach work
> are you ready to handle.
Development time is the big factor here. I want
to complete this thing as soon as possible. That
means minimum coding. I can try to standardize
later.

> Take into account that XvMC is X11 video extension,
> so it requare X. On another side, you could use the
> changed decoders (i'm in contact with ffmpeg people
> right now) if you want to make a xvmc compatiable
> library.
Where can I find such decoders which work well with
mplayer?

> In meening that it will use same DataBlocks and
> Blocks structures for exported mpeg data, but won't
> mess with X. In this case would only need to write
> a wrapper.
This seems to be easier approach than messing up with
X.

> If you have a full-featured libary that
> could decode mpeg on its own, i see no reason to
> make your life harder and to write wrapers. It
> also could be also faster this way.
In this case I just need to figure out how to
interface it with mplayer. Currently I am going
through libvo.txt as suggested by Arpi.

Thanks
vrihad