[MPlayer-dev-eng] writing video output plugin

Vrihad Shoonya vrihad at myway.com
Thu Jul 17 08:11:25 CEST 2003

Hi!

>I'm working on XvMC support in mplayer.
>XvMC is the common API for mpeg1/2 hardware
>acceleration under X. You can take a look
>at http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/
Sure.

>what is the state of SiS driver in XFree86?
I am using Linux 2.4.18 with stock drivers for
SiS frame buffer support. SiS has provided a
tiny X binary which is working fine with my
setup. When I tried to compile X from sources
after applying SiS related patches obtained from
the net, it didn't work. It was over six months
back. Apparently SiS drivers from
http://www.winischhofer.net/sisdri.shtml works
well now.

By the way, so far I have very little knowledge
about xvmc and other video programming stuff.
In the xine mailing list someone mentioned that
xvmc should be the standard used for h/w mpeg
decoder libraries. Here I would like to know
whether I can use xvmc while writing a decoder
plugin for mplayer when the vendor has already
provided some arbitrary library to implement
MOCOMP and IDCT using the h/w.

Thanks for the help
vrihad