[MPlayer-dev-eng] someone working on BINK support?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jul 16 14:08:46 CEST 2003

Hi,

> i have only one question if someone works on BINK support for mplayer
> using mini wine or something similar. I start this work and want to know
> if someone else starts this and wants to share some code or ideas.

I'm interested in it, and may help you or co-operate.

I've got decoder DLLs: ftp.mpalyerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/drivers32/Bink/
but I have no info about its API, it should be rev. engineered just like
we did with realvideo/audio codecs.

The main problem is that I have no apps using this DLL (or other external
bink decoder dll) so i cannot trace the in/out parameters and function call
order :(((
The simpler way would be running a simple (game demo?) app in (opensource)
wine, which uses external bink dll, and trace all i/o.
(i've patched wine for this, used for quicktime codec dlls)
The orther way is tracing it under windows in softice or other debuggers,
but i don't know windows debugging tools at all. (and i have no windows
installed)
The third way is writting a DLL wrapper DLL, like we did with realvideo
under linux, and trace the dll calls with it under windows/vmware.
Ah, and the simplest ever 4th way: buy the bink sdk, afair it's around
10000$ :)
And the last: rev. engineering the bink algorithm and write native decoder
into ffmpeg :)

When it's done, we could try to load the bink DLL with mplayer's mini-wine
dll loader, and patch/extend it if needed (by adding dummy funcs or porting
more from wine).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu