[MPlayer-dev-eng] installing codecs.conf obsolete?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jul 12 18:22:15 CEST 2003

Hi,

> I am the author the mplayerplugin and I orginally thought that the codecs.conf
> was customized per install of mplayer. I am not sure that is true so I need

no
codecs.conf always contains every possible codec, but the available
ones are decided and compiled-in to mplayer binary at compile time.
you shoudl run mplayer -vfm help and -afm help to get the list of
codec drivers (plugins) available, and use only codecs.conf entries
with 'driver' being one of the listed drivers.

> another way to determine what codecs are installed in mplayer. So I believe I
> will be dropping the requirement to read codecs.conf.

good idea
btw why do you need to know in the plugin that what codecs are available?
it's auto-selected by mpalyer, you do not have to always specify by -ac/-vc

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu