[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: to -fixed-vo or not to -fixed-vo

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Fri Jul 11 20:28:37 CEST 2003

Arwed von Merkatz said:
>> Nvidia  driver or hardware. Whenever I play a movie wider than about
>> 750 (in  other words, bigger than DVD size) with xv, I get junk on
>> the right side of the frame. Perhaps somebody didn't think people
>> would play movies larger than DVD. It appears that there's some kind
>> of wrap around. If I play a really wide movie (like greater than
>> 1000) the junk starts to appear on the left side of the frame. I get
>> this using both MPlayer and Xine. However, if I use another mplayer
>> vo, like x11, it is fine, though slow.
>> >
>> >Imho it can only be a bug of the nvidia driver. Or if it doesn't
>> appears with xine, it could be a bug (i would call it feature ;) in
>> our vo_xv implementation.
>>
>> I think it probably is in the Nvidia driver, but it could be in XFree
>> or  my particular hardware. If no one else sees it on Nvidia hardware,
>> it  could my particular card, since it's a very cheap brand. Or, if
>> others  see it on Nvidia hardware, but not on other hardware, it's
>> probably the  driver. If everyone has this problem with Xvideo (which
>> seems extremely  unlikely, since I haven't heard anyone else complain
>> about it), it could  be XFree. What about you? Does large video work
>> with "-vo xv"?
>
> I have exactly the same problem with -vo xv and very large movies, it
> appears in mplayer, xine, gstreamer and xmovie, so it's probably a
> problem of the nvidia driver on tnt2 hardware.

I have AXEL GeForce 440 MX (maybe also -SE) DDR 64MB, i can play
files up to 1920x1088 files without visible artifacts.
I belive that this is hardware problem. But it is known that on
weak cards some optimizations should be removed to get
more stable picture (e.g. increase latecy etc.).
That's the reason all manifacturers to make their own drivers, despire the
nvidia one.

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive

p.s. I've seen this bug on trident build-in card. I could not workaround
it. :(