[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: about hardware acceleration using X video extension

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue Jul 8 17:22:43 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:49:14AM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> douglasliu wrote:
> >We'v noticed that NVIDIA video card is not welcomed. So is it the reason
> >why we can't get hardware acceleration well?
>
> My Duron 800 has never had any trouble keeping up playing DVDs or MPEG-4
> video of any size using xv on my TNT2 Vanta. I'm also using the Nvidia
> proprietary driver version 1.0-4363. Playing DVDs, my CPU is about 55%
> to 70% idle, so I'd expect your machine to be able to keep up. Perhaps
> we could see a problem in your mplayer output.

But isn't Duron 800 an unfair comparison to Celeron 500?
IIRC Celerons don't perform all that well, and the 3dnow asm stuff
we have performs better than the mmx.  Then take into account the speed
difference and the fact that AMD's have a different structure as far as
the ALU's are concerned...  I would expect a Celeron 500 to barely be
able to keep up.  50% frame dropping doesn't seem normal, but anyhow...
Correct me if I'm wrong.

--Joey