[MPlayer-dev-eng] about hardware acceleration using X video extension

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Tue Jul 8 16:49:39 CEST 2003

douglasliu said:
> Dear all:
>
> We'v got an task to get better DVD playback performance under celeron
> 500 and  video card supporting hardware acceleration (now , I'm
> testing GForce4 made  by NVIDIA)
>
> cpu:celeron 500
> video card:GForce 4
> mem:128M
> os:red hat 7.2
> dirver:NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run
> mplayer:source code 0.90
>
> As we tested, 48% of frames lost in initial size and eq.
>

> We suspect that hardware acceleration did not work, but xvinfo and
> mplayer  said OK.
>
> if we disable XvShmPutImage function (in libvo/vo_xv.c, line 584),
> there was  no frame lost. XvShmPutImage would be the key for playback
> performance. Do anybody has any idea about it?
Hmm interesting. By disable you meen disabeing of HAVE_SHM?
I have noticed that using NVidia BES (Back end scaler) present as
second adapter (#1) is faster.

> We'v noticed that NVIDIA video card is not welcomed. So is it the
> reason why  we can't get hardware acceleration well?
There have been some funny answers from NVidia people
(line in keycolor of the bottom being AGP/MB problem)
Not to mesion bugs that become something like standart:(

> Any ideas are welcomed.
>
> Thanks any way!
>

> Douglas
> July 8,2003

BTW are you interested in XvMC hardware decoding stuff?
I'm working on it atm, and support for it have been added at mplayer
(main cvs). The decoder side is not yet bugfree, but it is usable (the
error handling of ffmpeg should be tweaked. I hope that interlased
pictures support are already fixed). The video driver don't have OSD.
You need GF4MX or FX for maximum performace, GF4TI don't have IDCT.

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive