[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: to -fixed-vo or not to -fixed-vo

Zoltan Hidvegi mplayer at hzoli.2y.net
Fri Jul 4 10:01:09 CEST 2003

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> >>I don't use it because it has trouble in xv. Often, when starting the
> >>next movie, the window stays blank until I hit "f", though the sound is
> >>playing. By the way, I'm using the binary Nvidia driver with a TNT2
> >>Vanta card.
> >

> > I have the same problem with GeForce 2 and GeForce 4.  It works with
> > 0.90rc5 but with the CVS version it stays blank when the next movie
> > starts.
>
> Well, we have Nvidia hardware in common. Are you using the "nvidia"
> (proprietary) or "nv" (free)? I'd try nv, but it only provides Xvideo on
> GeForce hardware. Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to be certain if
> the bug is in MPlayer or XFree or the Nvidia driver, since I don't have
> another video card to try it with.

I'm using the nvidia driver.  Fixed-vo works on my ThinkPad, which has
an ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY, but on that the xv controls (contrast,
brightness etc) do not work.  But fixed-vo works the same as on the
nvidia on my girlfriend's ThinkPad with an S3 Savage/IX-MV rev 17.
And everything works with mplayer-0.90rc5 and probably 0.90 as well,
so it may well be an mplayer bug.

> However, there's another bug that I'm fairly certain is in the Nvidia
> driver or hardware. Whenever I play a movie wider than about 750 (in
> other words, bigger than DVD size) with xv, I get junk on the right side
> of the frame. Perhaps somebody didn't think people would play movies

I do not have that.  I can play the Matrix Reloaded trailer quicktime
movie which has 1000x540 resolution.  I have the Debian unstable
XFree86 4.2.1.1 with the 4363 nvidia driver.

Zoli