[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: to -fixed-vo or not to -fixed-vo

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Jul 3 19:43:11 CEST 2003

Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
>>I don't use it because it has trouble in xv. Often, when starting the
>>next movie, the window stays blank until I hit "f", though the sound is
>>playing. By the way, I'm using the binary Nvidia driver with a TNT2
>>Vanta card.
>

> I have the same problem with GeForce 2 and GeForce 4.  It works with
> 0.90rc5 but with the CVS version it stays blank when the next movie
> starts.

Well, we have Nvidia hardware in common. Are you using the "nvidia"
(proprietary) or "nv" (free)? I'd try nv, but it only provides Xvideo on
GeForce hardware. Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to be certain if
the bug is in MPlayer or XFree or the Nvidia driver, since I don't have
another video card to try it with.

However, there's another bug that I'm fairly certain is in the Nvidia
driver or hardware. Whenever I play a movie wider than about 750 (in
other words, bigger than DVD size) with xv, I get junk on the right side
of the frame. Perhaps somebody didn't think people would play movies
larger than DVD. It appears that there's some kind of wrap around. If I
play a really wide movie (like greater than 1000) the junk starts to
appear on the left side of the frame. I get this using both MPlayer and
Xine. However, if I use another mplayer vo, like x11, it is fine, though
slow.

Jonathan Rogers