[MPlayer-dev-eng] QuickTime on Mac OS X

Dan Christiansen dan at bugge.dk
Tue Jan 14 17:11:38 CET 2003

Hi,

I've written a patch for MPlayer which enables Quicktime usage on Mac
OS X by linking to QuickTime.framework and Carbon.framework. All I had
to do was basically to disable all DLL linking code and make it link
against the frameworks.

I tried fooling around with codecs.conf and I came to the following
conclusions.

What works:
- MACE audio decoding
- Sorenson video decoding

What doesn't work:
- AAC & MP3 audio decoding
- 3ivx D4 PR2 video decoding

What could be done better:
- There's a lot of warnings about -framework <whatever> not used
because linking not done. IIRC, frameworks are also used for headers.

It seems like everything which is listed to be working in codecs.conf
works, so I guess it works pretty much the same way the DLL stuff
works. It would be great if I could get 3ivx (maybe it's faster than
libavcodec) or AAC to work, but I don't know very much about Quicktime
or media programming in general, so it's out of my league. I haven't
been able to get FAAD to work either, so maybe it's something in one of
the MPlayer layers?

I also changed some stuff in the demuxers to make FourCCs print
correctly on big endian systems. I also added code to detect
Quicktime's presence on Darwin and to disable it with
--disable-quicktime. This is my first (successful) attempt at
configure/Makefil and Quicktime, so if there's anything I should have
done differently or anything I missed, please say so :)

I noticed some issues with -vo SDL and YUV output, but these are worked
around by adding -vop scale or -vop swapuv to the command line.

- Dan Christiansen