rc4? Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] TODO for release? bugs status...

Fabien Tassin fta+mplayer at sofaraway.org
Wed Jan 29 23:40:34 CET 2003

Hi,

According to Arpi:

> > - Re: [Mplayer-cvslog] CVS: main/libvo vo_vesa.c,1.82,1.83
> >   This patch makes mplayer unusable in console mode, always leaves the
> >   console in graphic mode.
> any ideas on this one?
> otherwise we should ignore, it was only one bugreport, zero patch...

I reported this and just asked to revert this two line patch that fixed
nothing at all but caused troubles, at least to me.
I tried to find a way to avoid the reported (not by me) segv but I
never experienced it in the past, not even now. I've spent some time
in the code and found nothing, except that checking for NULL to trigger
vesa_term() is really wrong (perhaps not 10l but at least 2l). From my
understanding of vo_vesa.c::uninit() and linux/vbelib.c::vbeSaveState(),
it is wrong to test init_state to trigger vesa_term() as there are plenty
of good reasons to have it NULL even if vesa mode was successfully
initialized and used. I suggest to use the returned value of vbeSaveState()
instead.

I'd be curious to see the backtrace of the segv that this patch was
supposed to fix. If someone could provide it to me, I'd be happy to
work on a patch.

BTW, if you are in a hurry for 0.90, plz revert as I did myself.

/Fabien