[MPlayer-dev-eng] GIF help needed

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Fri Jan 24 00:06:05 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:26:27PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> So if i understand right, GIF supports/uses partial updates (just like MSRLE).
> It's really odd.
> We have to decide if we gave up paletted output or gave up partial updates
> support (DR2)...
> Maybe using draw_slice() from codecs could solve the problem, but it's not
> implemented in rgb8->* converters and vo drivers supporting 8bpp.

GIF frames dimensions are independant of the GIF "screen" size.
The screen size is the overall size of what gets drawn on, and each
frame has it's own size and offset to relate that frame's location to
the overall screen coordinates.

Speaking of which, I've got a working patch now for GIF support where
the demuxer spits out 8bit indexes + palette.  However, I don't like the
8bpp support available.  For one, raw only does BGR8, and BGR8 is
flipped.  Why?  This way, I can only watch GIFs upside down.

I added RGB8 to codecs.conf, but vd_raw still asks for BGR.

So, do I change vd_raw, or do I export an upside-down image from the
demuxer?

Other than this, my big complaint is that when the demuxer exports
BGR8 + palette, I have to use -vop palette.  How can I load this
automatically?

If I can get these two issues (flip & vop palette) done, then I'm ready
to send a nice clean patch for review.

Also, codecs.conf has a typo.  BGR8 has 0x4247520F listed, which is
BGR15.  This should read 0x42475208.

Thanks,
--Joey