[MPlayer-dev-eng] .deb of 0.90rc3 release

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 23 02:20:31 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:37:29AM +0100, gabor wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 01:04, Mark Guptill wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 January 2003 2:45 am, Arpi wrote:
> > > back to the question: are debian users really happy by being forced to
> > > install tons of libraries they don't really want/need, just because some
> > > package makers decided so? if yes, then forget my comments.
>
> this is a general problem for binary distros...
>
> and those tons of libraries aren't needed because the package maker
> decided so, but because there's no other way, unless the soft is plugin
> based imho

Actually I'm thinking about using Debian on some systems in the
future, and I have a solution. I'm going to make packages that flagged
as 'provides foo' for all the crappy libs foo, and make it just be a
bunch of dummy symbols pointing to a single function that returns the
proper failure code for the lib. Then all the progs that are linked
against these nonsense libs will run as long as they don't actually
need the lib to function. :)))

Rich