[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: .deb .. yadayada

Balatoni Denes pnis at coder.hu
Wed Jan 22 19:26:33 CET 2003

Hi!

On 2003. január 22. 14:46, Franck Arnaud wrote:
> > mencoder is mpeg encoder, and debian does not distribute
> > those for some weird patent or something reasons.
>
> This is not really weird, or some border-case patent, there's
> a whole pile of patented things in MPEG some of which probably
> do make sense. If MPEG encoders were included in Debian, anyone
> selling a Debian CD for $1 would have to pay licensing fees
doesn't do same apply for mpeg decoding ?

anyhow, in that case the best solution legalwise/otherwise would be imho
to have a script that asks the user what he/she wants, downloads the source
and compiles it according to the user's preferences.
eg. gentoo might be well suited for distributing mplayer.

bye
Denes

ps: for example I don't have sdl on my debian-unstable - but i compile
mplayer from source anyhow (you know for xmms plugin support :] )