[MPlayer-dev-eng] .deb of 0.90rc3 release

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jan 22 14:42:19 CET 2003

Hi,

> We could make a choice between having libggi and having libsdl.

i see no reason for ggi. it was never tested by us and afaik nearly no one
uses ggi for mplayer.

sdl was good for many things in the past, but imho we've fixed those
problems so it's also not important. anyway dependency on sdl is ok.
esp. if debian have different versions of sdl (not including all the shit)

> We will split gmplayer, and docs (which are 2MB)

maybe split docs per language.

> > MPlayer really should load required libraries using dlopen(), and in
> > case such libraries are not available, should fail to initialize its
> > specific parts, not the whole of the player (like xmms and lots of apps do).
>
> AFAIK mplayer is (willingly) not using .so libraries because they are
> slower.
it's only 1 of the reasons. others include :
- many of these libs are not binary compatible (they are under heavy
development and so api changes)
- we've patched most of them to work (better) with mplayer, so they differ
(even in API) from 'official' .so versions

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team