[MPlayer-dev-eng] .deb of 0.90rc3 release

Andrea Mennucc debdev at Tonelli.sns.it
Wed Jan 22 14:25:03 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:19:22AM +0000, Alvaro Lopes wrote:
> Andrea: some ideas, as I also use debian myself:
>
> Why not split it into several packages, according to some more common
> user options ? Like this:
>
> Packages:
>
>    mplayer-common
>        -> Perhaphs a dummy package. Or some needed files.

there have been long threads in debian-mentors
about having fewer or more binary packages per source.
The general consensous is: do not split if there is not good reason.
I don't see a good reason for a mplayer-common; it may contain
  /usr/lib/mplayer
but that is only 94kB

>    mplayer-codecs
>        -> Depends on mplayer-common

There will never be a mplayer-codecs package in Debian.
Moreover the script we have in the mplayer package does a good
job at downloading them from the 3 mirrors.

>    mplayer-simple
>        -> Depends on mplayer-common
>        -> Provides mplayer-player
>        -> Conflicts with mplayer-dvd
>    mplayer-dvd
>        -> Depends on mplayer-common
>        -> Conflicts with mplayer-simple
>        -> Provides mplayer-player
>    .
>    .
>    .
>
> This is not optimal, this is really shitty, but might be an option.

It is not easy to build different mplayer packages that fit
well to people's need.

I agree with Arpi that we may leave off  -vo aa
(that is but a nice toy).

But I don't see the point in having a different  mplayer-dvd
(the only difference is libdvdread2 which is 104kB)

We could make a choice between having libggi and having libsdl.

We will split gmplayer, and docs (which are 2MB)

> MPlayer really should load required libraries using dlopen(), and in
> case such libraries are not available, should fail to initialize its
> specific parts, not the whole of the player (like xmms and lots of apps do).

AFAIK mplayer is (willingly) not using .so libraries because they are
slower.  But all the these are not related to the Debian packaging.

a.

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Tonino Carotone)