[MPlayer-dev-eng] .deb of 0.90rc3 release

Alvaro Lopes alvieboy at alvie.com
Wed Jan 22 12:19:22 CET 2003

Andrea: some ideas, as I also use debian myself:

Why not split it into several packages, according to some more common
user options ? Like this:

Packages:

    mplayer-common
        -> Perhaphs a dummy package. Or some needed files.
    mplayer-codecs
        -> Depends on mplayer-common
    mplayer-simple
        -> Depends on mplayer-common
        -> Provides mplayer-player
        -> Conflicts with mplayer-dvd
    mplayer-dvd
        -> Depends on mplayer-common
        -> Conflicts with mplayer-simple
        -> Provides mplayer-player
    .
    .
    .

This is not optimal, this is really shitty, but might be an option.
MPlayer really should load required libraries using dlopen(), and in
case such libraries are not available, should fail to initialize its
specific parts, not the whole of the player (like xmms and lots of apps do).

I believe going fully modular should be one of the priorities. Let-me
give you an example: I was trying to write a perl module to interface
with MPlayer. I gave up because everything is so tied up it was almost
impossible to met all dependencies.

Some other thoughts:

The Mplayer core should be available in a shared library object, with a
few methods for initialization, parameter setting, playback and exit.
All mpcodecs, filters, vo's, etc..., should also be available in .so,
and dynamically loaded by mplayer core.

I should be able to bootstrap an player instance using only a few lines
of code, eg:

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    struct mplayer *mp;