[MPlayer-dev-eng] .deb of 0.90rc3 release

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jan 22 11:45:57 CET 2003

Hi,

> > why do you make it depend on so much useless things most users don't have at
> > all?
>
> <joke> why not?  :-)  </joke>
>
> there is an old and unresolved issue here:
>  some mantainer prefer to activate all possible libraries and features;
>  some other prefer to have a simpler package.
the rest (users?) wants an usable package, with useful features all enabled,
but useless ones (added just for fun, like -vo aa, and the ones not yet
working, just added for developers/testing, like dvdnav, menu etc) disabled.

> > or debian comes with all these libs?
>
> yes, Debian comes with all those. Next time, instead of running ldd, try this.
> $ dpkg -i mplayer*deb
> $ apt-get -f install

root at arpi:~# dpkg -i mplayer*deb
bash: dpkg: command not found
root at arpi:~# apt-get -f install
bash: apt-get: command not found

sorry, i'm using slackware :)

back to the question: are debian users really happy by being forced to
install tons of libraries they don't really want/need, just because some
package makers decided so? if yes, then forget my comments.

> If you use Debian 3.0 (a.k.a. Woody):
no, thanks.

> > and why is dvdnav dep there? that code never worked and never will.
>
> Yse, I have just found it out myself (I have just bought a DVD, to
> test it, and I see that it does not work). Now I delete it.
ok

>  -vo  AAlib   -> Depends: ncurses, libgpm
eh.

> > what is libaudio ?
>
> NAS (network audio systems)
ok

> > and why don't you use the 'default' (named default) skin with support for
> > all gui features? like playbar.
>
> Dariush is preparing two packages, fonts and skins.
> (I think that)
> He asked for permission to add the skins into Debian as GPL,
> and he got an e-mail answer from the author
> of 'Neutron', but not from the author of default.
> (But I am not sure)

hmm. afaik the default skin was made by Pontscho, with a help of a gfxman
friend, so i can't imagine that they are against gpl and/or debian.
especially as Pontscho is debian user. maybe you contacted wrong ppl?
or did it in english? (.so isn't too good in english, try hungarian next time:))

> > and/or libmpdvdkit2?
>
> not in Debian. What is it for? is it better or worse
> of other choices?
of course better. otherwise why would it be there? :)
it's patched libdvdread+libdvdcss, with some (30%) speedup and cache.

> not built by default, since 'lame' is not in the Debian mainstream.
ehhh.
why does debian includes so many shit and miss the usable, good libraries?

> > i don't recommend supporting/accepting it as official package...
>
> I am sorry for that.
> Problem is, which other packaging would you propose?
> There are only 4 packaging that I am aware of
> 1) upstream, from CVS or .tar.bz2
> 2) our (slightly changed) version of the above
> 3) Marillat's packages
> 4) thuglife's own packages

i don't know them (since i'm not using debian) but i know that marillat's
ones are just broken, and it seems your one is not better either.

maybe you should do a voting (by useres), or consulting with developers,
about which features are unfinished/testing and which ones are useless and
which ones are good and shoudl be included for a binary build.

the main problem that pkg makers simply forgot is that bugreports always
come to us. and it's really boring read bugreports about broken binary
packages, because pkg maker decided to include some broken/buggy/unfinished
code in it, and left out some important features we expect to be there since
it's there by default compile.

> so we prepared 2, which is (=hopes to be) just a revision of 1
> so that it will be acceptable into Debian.

maybe the no. 1 goal should be usablility, and debian rules only the 2nd.
users could download from everywhere (if it's good, then even from mplayer
mirrors) but including an useless version in debian is imho bad idea.
just look at suse: they've included a stripped down version in their
distrib. no one of suse users can use it, they all recompile from source or
download rpms from other places. then what is the sense of all that?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team