[MPlayer-dev-eng] Video question for gurus - please read!

Roche_John1 at emc.com Roche_John1 at emc.com
Tue Jan 21 12:46:20 CET 2003

Hi,
    working on an open source distributed DVR project, that's the plan,
Masters project.

If I capture programmes using the New Hauppauge wintv PVR 350 card with
onboard mpeg encoder (MPEG 2 format)
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#pci
then when I transport the recorded programme to a client machine for
playback

What will I need to playback the programme?

Is it encoded in a priority Hauppauge format so that I will need a Hauppauge
player or can I use MPLAYER
Do I need a hardware based MPEG decoder on the client device also?

I know the site probably answers most of these but I'm just getting into
this stuff - and need to be sure before I begin basing a long project on
things.

thanx
Regards
John