[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: 0.90 release plans and others

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jan 20 18:39:56 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:53:32AM -0700, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 02:07, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
> > one - what about to make videoeditor? I think mplayer/mencoder has most
> > of functions of it. I've really tired of rebooting to windows because I
> > have to run NanDub...
>
> I've toyed with this idea too. The EDL system was a start; it still
> needs all kinds of refining (i.e., a real XML-based EDL file format),
> but at least it's a step.
>
> I think a really, really cool thing would be to write an abstraction
> layer for Adobe Premiere video and audio filters. Aside from that, we
> need a lot more filters than we currently have (there isn't even
> cross-fade, is there?)

Well before you can have cross-fade you need support for multiple
source streams, syncing them together, etc. Then you need to replace
filter chains with filter trees. It's a very cool idea and I'd like to
see it someday (imagine a full independent film studio built on
mplayer without all the proprietary crap needed now), but I think
it'll require a long chain of evolution to get there.

Rich