[MPlayer-dev-eng] 0.90 release plans and others

Michael Halcrow mah69 at email.byu.edu
Mon Jan 20 15:19:03 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 04:54, Arpi wrote:
> > Probably not, but will it lose the race against xine?
>
> imho we lose it already. see xine, its popularity started to grow since a
> month and keeps growing. while we spend our expensive time by rev.
> engineering codecs, optimizing code, writing demuxers, they improve the gui.
> then they 'steal' the others and win. we have no chance against xine...
> Ah, stability. Yes, in old days mplayer was rock solid while xine crashed at
> every second click. It has been changed: mplayer is now everything but
> stable (thanks to that many hacks and 10l bugs), while xine improved
> stability a lot...

Before we get any hard feelings over ``losing'' to xine, I'd like to
chip in here. A little competition is fun, but remember that everything
we do it to benefit the community. If xine ``steals'' code from mplayer
to make a better product, as long as it's GPL and free to the community,
I for one don't mind at all. We can ``steal'' code from xine all we
want, too, because it's an Open Source project. That's the beauty of
Open Source: everyone gets access to everyone else's code, and we're all
better off for it. There's nothing dishonerable about using source code
from one project to make another project better... in fact, that's one
of the greatest strengths of the Open Source software phenomenon!

Mike

--
Michael Halcrow                          | mhalcrow at byu.edu
Research Assistant, Network Security Lab | Dept. of Comp. Science
                                         | Brigham Young University
"Campus sidewalks never exist as the     |
straightest line between two points."    |
  - M. M. Johnston                       |
GnuPG Keyprint:  05B5 08A8 713A 64C1 D35D  2371 2D3C FDDA 3EB6 601D