[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: 0.90 release plans and others

Balatoni Denes pnis at coder.hu
Mon Jan 20 12:11:45 CET 2003

Hi!

I think it is a nice idea. But actually using threads for this wouldn't be
better ? Last time I tried using shared mem between processes, it was slow so
I switched to threads - maybe I did something lame than.

On 2003. január 20. 12:07, Anders Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >     It's so sad as for me... I thought about some new features... It's
> > about ve_fame, it's about some subtitles improvements and about very big
> > one - what about to make videoeditor? I think mplayer/mencoder has most
> > of functions of it. I've really tired of rebooting to windows because I
> > have to run NanDub...
>
> I have some ideas on this, (just ideas not flaim bait :). Wouldn't it
> be possible to split up mplayer into several processes (not threads!),
> and use shared memory areas to pass data between the applications. My
> idea is to have many different processes running in parallel:

bye
Denes

ps: no flame or anything, just wondering what advantages one thread has
compared to several threads - when I run mplayer there are 100 other
processes, so switching around 10 more processes wouldn't add much overhead
imho.