[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Some cleanup about mencoder.

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Sat Jan 18 18:07:13 CET 2003

    Hi, D Richard Felker III!

Sometime (on Saturday, January 18 at 18:22) I've received something...
>>     If you anyway will want multiple output files (it means multiple
>> muxer instances because one muxer is for one and only one output file:
>> you cannot have two muxers for the same file, it's noncense), except

>As much as it's nonsense, you could want it... Think of
>ogg-inside-avi.

    Eh, do you mean ogg-inside-avi or ogm-insige-avi? Ogg (aka vorbis) is
audio compression format (stream, not container) so it need no muxer but
OggVorbis compressor (codec). Ogm is container that usually contains some
mpeg4/divx/xvid video and vorbis audio. If you want ogg audio inside avi
then anyway you need only one muxer. I never hear about the file that has
one container inside another - IMHO there is no player what can play it.

> BTW, before you say this is stupid and that one should
>use ogm instead, do a little research...with ogm, the stupid ogg page
>headers waste a lot more space than the whole avi index (and they
>don't make seeking easy like an index does!), the painfully
>complicated checksums waste a lot of cpu time decoding (and they even
>waste a good bit of time during streamcopy!), and the whole thing is
>just a hack.

    I have nothing after ogg sound in avi even if it can be played only
by MPlayer. ;)
1. It can be done by one and only one muxer instance (as it's at present
time by mplayer).
2. If you want Ogm file format you can write ogm muxer layer.

    Just see what I said before - it was about _multiple_ muxer (yes,
about multiple container/output files) at once but it wasn't about
_different_ muxers. :)

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.