[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Some cleanup about mencoder.

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jan 18 17:28:43 CET 2003

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 11:47:26AM +0200, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
>     Hi!
>
> In addition to wrote by me on Saturday, January 18 at  1:47...
> >>yes, NOW it's not possible to have more than one muxer, but the muxer
> >>API was designe dto make it possible with a new generation mencoder.c later
>
> >I understand your thought but can you say me for what you can use many
> >muxers? To simultaneously encoded many files? I think it's not a Unix
> >way, you can just start more of mencoder processes. Or to generate many
> >different encodes of the same video/audio? Then you have to change your
> >command line switches dramatically and no one could understand it in the
> >future. (may be supply mencoder with 20lb manual? ;)
>
>     If you anyway will want multiple output files (it means multiple
> muxer instances because one muxer is for one and only one output file:
> you cannot have two muxers for the same file, it's noncense), except

As much as it's nonsense, you could want it... Think of
ogg-inside-avi. BTW, before you say this is stupid and that one should
use ogm instead, do a little research...with ogm, the stupid ogg page
headers waste a lot more space than the whole avi index (and they
don't make seeking easy like an index does!), the painfully
complicated checksums waste a lot of cpu time decoding (and they even
waste a good bit of time during streamcopy!), and the whole thing is
just a hack.

Even though ogg-in-avi is also a nasty hack (I don't even know if A/V
sync works), perhaps it will someday be desirable to mux ogg into a
good container format. Of course dropping the ogg junk and just using
raw vorbis packets would be much nicer...

Rich