[MPlayer-dev-eng] [QUESTION] Stabilizing MPlayer

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue Jan 14 21:46:26 CET 2003

Hi,

I knew it was a fake, but I was also quite shocked that somebody had the idea
to do this ...

I think as we are in feature-freeze time, it is most important to now
stabilize mplayer (I know I just added some features myself, but they also
found some "bugs" ... :) )

Of course, each developer must decide for himself, but I decided for myself,
that it was a good thing to do ...

I know ask how this can most efficiently be done, as there is no
DOCS/tech/stabilizing-Howto:

[ No, And its not an accpetable excuse not to tell me, because you don't want
to drink sooo much cola ;) ]

- how to find memory holes/leaks ?
	+ there was software mentioned, but I can't find that thread anymore

- are there most often made common mistakes + 10l's that can "easily" be
discovered by just scanning the code (painful reading, but could be worth it)
	+ any website/url ?

- what about our bug-tracking system ? Does it sleep or is it ready for
production-use ...

- Are there other open and known BUGS not mentioned in TODO ?

- Are there unclean things that need to be partly rerwitten (only small
things) to make it more stable ... ?

- How can we assure that some part of code is "stable" ?
	+ yes, I'm talking about some kind of Quality-Assurance-Management
	+ is there perhaps a certain cvs-flag that could tell that this code has been
checked and is "clean" ... ?

- Are there other things except those mentioned above needed to stabilize
mplayer ?

And last:

Are others willing to help stabilizing it and really look through old code /
find things that probably need to be redesigned after 0.90 and help hunting
bugs ?

And nearly only doing this and not adding soooooooo much features now ...

cu

Fabian, who really wants to do something, but don't know where to begin ... I
really need that tutorial DOCS/tech/stabilize :)